Silicon IP Cores
Octal SPI Master/Slave Controller
Implements a controller for a single-, dual-, quad-, or octal-lane Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) bus, which can operate either as a master or as a slave.
Designed to work with a wide variety of SPI bus variants, the core supports run-time control of several SPI protocol parameters. For example, the SPI frame width can be 1 to 4 bytes, the most significant bit position in a frame, serial clock phase and polarity are all software programmable. In master mode the core can control up to 32 slaves. A software controllable clock generator derives the serial clock for master mode, by dividing the frequency of a clock line dedicated for that purpose.
The SPI-MS provides access to is status and control registers, and to the SPI transfer data via a 32-bit APB slave interface. The core treats the APB and SPI clocks as asynchronous to each other, and implements a clean clock domain crossing boundary. The core implements two configurable-depth FIFOs, one for the receiver and one for the transmitter path. To ease integration, an interrupt can be generated to indicate availability of a programmable amount of received data or availability to transmit a programmable amount of new data.
The SPI-MS core is rigorously verified, silicon-proven and available in RTL source or as a targeted FPGA netlist.
The SPI-MS as delivered is warranted against defects for ninety days from purchase. Thirty days of phone and email technical support are included, starting with the first interaction. Additional maintenance and support options are available.
The core is available in synthesizable RTL and FPGA netlist forms, and includes everything required for successful implementation, including a testbench, simulation and synthesis scripts and comprehensive user documentation.
The SPI-MS can be mapped to any ASIC technology or FPGA device (provided sufficient silicon resources are available). The following table provides sample implementation data. Please contact CAST to get characterization data for your target configuration and technology.
|Slave, Quad SPI||TSMC 16nm||3,657||APB: 500
|Master, Quad SPI||4,259|
|Master & Slave, Octal SPI||4,641|
SPI I/O interface
- Compliant to the SPI de-facto standard
- Single, dual, quad and octal serial data lines
- Software programmable transmission formats (CPOL and CPHA)
- Up to 32 slaves supported under master control
Configurable SPI transfers
- Fast sampling clock input for the SPI transfers
- FIFOs used for transferring data (configurable depth)
- Full duplex operation
- LSB or MSB mode
- 8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit synchronous serial transmission
- Compatible with the APB3 protocol specification
- Software programmable Master or Slave mode
- Software programmable SCLK rate
- Interrupt control
Smooth Technology Mapping
- Fully synchronous, scan-ready, LINT-clean design
- Delivered with sample scripts, RTL testbench and sample test cases
- Synthesizable RTL or FPGA netlist
- Testbench & sample test cases
- Simulation & synthesis scripts
- Wikipedia: Serial Peripheral Interface Bus
- Embedded.com: Introduction to Serial Peripheral Interface