Silicon IP Cores
Automotive Bus Controllers
CAN & Ethernet TSN through LIN & SENT
CAST’s expanding line of IP cores for automotive applications includes:
- An industry-leading CAN Controller Core, which supports CAN 2.0, CAN-FD, TTCAN, and CAN XL, and can optionally be augmented by a CANsec Accelerator Core
- A LIN Bus Master/Slave Controller Core, compatible with LIN specification 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2A, and backward compatible with LIN specification 1.3
- A SENT/SAE J2716 Controller Core, provides a simple, low-cost, higher baud-rate than LIN alternative for sensor data communication.
- A Low-Latency Ethernet MAC Core suitable for automotive ethernet, including the 10BASE-T1S and 100BASE-T1 standards
- A multiport TSN Ethernet Switch Core supporting cut-through, ultra-low latency operation
- A TSN Ethernet Endpoint Core suitable for star network topologies
- A TSN Ethernet Switched Endpoint Core suitable for daisy-chained networks
Each comes ready to help automotive engineers easily satisfy the technical, cost, and other project demands in this challenging, safety-first environment.
CAST offers the most complete, proven CAN Bus soft IP available anywhere.
CAN 2.0, CAN FD, and CAN XL Controller Core
The CAN-CTRL CAN Controller supports the original Bosch protocol, the ISO specifications as defined in ISO 1989 (including TTCAN as specified in ISO 19898-4), CiA's 610-1 specification and is also optimized to support the popular AUTOSAR and SAE J1939 specifications.
The CAN core is easy to use and integrate, featuring programmable interrupts, data and baud rates; a configurable number of independently programmable acceptance filters; and a generic processor interface or optionally an AMBA APB, or AHB-Lite interface. It implements a flexible buffering scheme, allowing fine-tuning of the core size to satisfy the requirements of each specific application.
Offering the widest PHY support available, the controller works well with all popular physical CAN FD transceivers, including those from Denso Automotive, Infineon Technologies, Microchip, NXP Semiconductors, and On Semi.
CAN IP from CAST has shipped in millions of customer units. The current CAN 2.0/FD/XL Controller core has undergone several CIA Plug Fest testing events—more than any other soft core—including undergoing the first such testing in an actual automobile.
Implementation Technology Independent
CAN IP from CAST is available in VHDL or Verilog, and can be mapped to any ASIC or FPGA technology, including Intel, Lattice, Microsemi and Xilinx. Reference designs are available in different FPGA targets.
ISO 26262 /ASIL-D Version
The CAN-CTRL is available in two versions: Normal, and Safety-Enhanced. The Safety-Enhanced version implements ECC for SRAMs protection and uses spatial redundancy for protecting the inner logic of the core. The deliverables for this version include a Safety Manual (SAM), a Failure Modes, Effects and Diagnostics Analysis (FMEDA), and the ISO-26262 ASIL-D Ready certificate, issued by SGS-TÜV Saar GmbH.
Proven & Reliable
Fraunhofer has been among the drivers behind the evolution of the family of TSN Ethernet protocols. Capitalizing on this legacy, Fraunhofer IPMS develops TSN IP endpoint and switch controllers that are productized and marketed in collaboration with CAST. Those TSN IP cores are among the very few that have been verified and tested for interoperability in plugfests by both LNI 4.0 and IIC and had already been chosen by a number of customers for the development of their next-generation TSN capable devices.
Small and Capable
Thanks to the pure hardware implementation of most protocol stacks, the TSN cores available from CAST use a faction of the silicon resources of competing IP cores, achieve highly accurate timing synchronization, and schedule traffic with minimum latency.
The following IP cores are currently available from CAST:
CAST offers off-the-shelf ISO 26262 version for the following automotive IP cores:
- CAN 2.0/CAN-FD Controller - ASIL-D
- LIN Controller - ASIL-D
- Low-Latency 1G Ethernet MAC - ASIL-D
- EMSA5-FS RISC-V Processor - ASIL-D
These cores have ISO-26262 ASIL-D Ready certificates issued by SGS-TÜV Saar GmbH.
ISO 26262 ASIL-C versions for all TSN cores will also be made available soon. CAST offers services for developing and certifying safety-enhanced versions for its cores. For more details please contact CAST sales.