Silicon IP Cores
CAST Expands Streaming Video IP Line with Motion JPEG Subsystem
A new IP subsystem developed by semiconductor intellectual property provider CAST, Inc. makes it easy for system designers to exploit the benefits of Motion JPEG for video streaming in many Internet of Things (IoT) and other applications.
Motion JPEG (MJPEG) provides a leaner, lower-power video solution than video codecs like H.264 when moderate levels of compression are required:
- MJPEG requires dramatically less silicon area, e.g., the MJPEG-capable encoder from CAST needs about 60K gates and 60Kbits of RAM, while most H.264 encoders need 500K gates and 500Kbits.
- MJPEG does not need external DRAM memory for buffering frames as is necessary for H.264. (This DRAM can consume more power than the video encoding logic, and its lower bandwidth can be a bottleneck.)
- MJPEG offers great video quality for moderate compression ratios, e.g. MJPEG delivers video quality practically equivalent to that of H.264 when typical video content is compressed with a ratio of 20:1.
The new Motion JPEG Over IP – HD Video Encoder Subsystem compresses and streams HD video (1080p). It combines the MJPEG Encoder IP core with network stacks (RTP/UDP/IP encapsulation), interfaces, and essential software in an integrated, verified, ready-to-run package.
The MJPEG Subsystem joins CAST’s existing products for streaming HD video over Internet Protocol (IP) channels:
- Subsystems for H.264 encoding and decoding, and
- Cores for RTP, UDP/IP, and MPEG Transport Stream network stacks.
All are available now, with turnkey reference design boards and other evaluation and design aids. Customization services are available to deliver these products tailored to meet a customer’s specific system requirements.
Contact CAST Sales via [email protected] or by calling +1 201.391.8300 to learn more and discuss evaluation and licensing options.
About CAST Inc.
CAST develops, integrates, and aggregates high-quality digital IP cores for ASICs and FPGAs. The company offers some of the best available choices for low-power, high-value IP, including 8051s and BA2x™ 32-bit processors; video, image, and data compression; automotive networking; and the peripherals, interfaces, security, and subsystems needed for the quick, low-risk development of system-on-chip designs. Visit www.cast-inc.com, or follow @castcores on Twitter.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.