BA2x 32-bit Processor IP Cores Family
These BA2x Family processor cores are silicon-proven, royalty-free, easy to program, and technically competitive with traditional 32-bit processor choices.
Their BA2™ instruction set architecture yields extremely dense code, reducing memory and cache sizes, enabling fewer operations and more sleep, and cutting system-level energy consumption.
Various preconfigured versions bundle features and peripherals to target deeply embedded systems through application processors running Android or Linux.
All include the BeyondStudio™ IDE for quick programming, and reference designs, evaluation systems, and integration services are available.
BA2x 32-bit Microprocessor IP Cores
A family of processors that implement the BA2 ISA on an efficient 32-bit architecture, offering:
- Extreme Code Density
- High Performance
- System-wide Energy Efficiency
A range of preconfigured versions, with:
- Controller-like bundles of functions and peripherals
- Ready for systems from deeply embedded through advanced application processors
A mature, silicon-proven, reusable IP product, providing:
- Rapid development, with a complete ecosystem
- Easy integration, with configuration options, a customizable platform, and available integration services
- Better business terms, including royalty-free licensing
Extreme Code Density: best in class
Up to 3.41 Coremarks/MHz
Up to 3.04 DMIPS/MHz
Up to 800 MHz
Power usage from 0.01 mW/MHz
Area from 10k gates
Figures are for TSMC 65nm LP.
BA25 reaches 800 MHz; BA22 reaches 400 MHz.
Coremarks run on BA22-DE with no caches or MMUs.
Area typical for BA22-DE; see individual core pages for more sample implementation results.
BA2x Versions Preconfigured for Various Types of Systems
BA25 Application Processor
For demanding systems running full apps on a general-purpose OS (Linux or Android); 7/12-stage pipeline, caches & MMU, out-of-order exectution.
BA22-AP Basic Application Processor
For embedded systems using off-chip instruction and data memories and running an RTOS or a general-purpose OS (Linux or Android); 5-stage pipeline, caches & MMU.
BA22-CE Cache-Enabled Embedded Processor
For deeply embedded systems using off-chip instruction and data memories and possibly running an RTOS; 5-stage pipeline, caches but no MMU.
BA22-DE Deeply Embedded Processor
For deeply embedded systems using on-chip instruction and data memories; 4/5-stage pipeline, no caches or MMU.
BA21 Low-Power Deeply Embedded Processor
For energy- and area-sensitive embedded system applications; 2-stage pipeline, no cache or MMU.
BA2 Instruction Set Architecture
Innovative ISA combines RISC and non-RISC techniques:
- Multiple-length instruction coding: 16, 24, 32 or
- Powerful flow control & arithmetic 32 GPRs vs. 16 typical
- DSP & Floating-Point extensions
Extreme code density reduces system-wide energy consumption:
- Smaller memories & caches
- More code in caches vs. power-hungry memory
- Fewer instructions and more sleep
All supported with development tools including a GCC/Eclipse IDE, libraries, architectural simulator, and reference design/eval system boards.
Cost-Effective and Royalty-Free
An investment in a BA2x processor core pays for itself many times over by shrinking development time and allowing designers to focus on other competitive differentiators.
CAST’s time-tested licensing offers project-based, royalty-free terms, meaning developers pay a fixed, known amount for each core, regardless of production volume or product lifetime.
We also encourage you to try the processor before you commit, with ready-to-run evaluation systems.
Click or call Sales (+1 800-201-8300) to discuss pricing and how BA2X licensing might benefit your next project.
Sample Customer Applications
Software Development for BA2x Processors
Free BeyondStudio™ IDE for easy programming:
- Eclipse-based integrated development environment
- Extended GNU C/C++ tools: GCC &GDB
- Ported C libraries Popular configurations ready for quick start
- JTAG debugging
Support for popular general-purpose and real-time (RTOS) operating systems
- FreeRTOS, more.
Cycle-accurate Instruction Set Simulator (ISS).
- Webinar - CPU Subsystem Total Power Consumption: Understanding the Factors and Selecting the Best IP
- Power Time - GSA Blog Post & CAST Webinar
- Consider Code Density when Choosing Embedded Processors
- CAST Presentation at DAC 2012 Chip Estimate Theater
- Leapfrogging The Competition Through Smart IP Selection
- Seminar: System Design with 32-bit BA22 Processor IP
- Lauterbach and Beyond Semiconductor Partner for Easier System Development with BA22 Royalty Free 32-bit Processors
- Ron Wilson covers CAST BA22 32-bit Processors at EE Times
- Beken Chooses BA22 Processor to Satisfy Tight Constraints in New Mobile Bluetooth Audio Chip
- Low-Power BA21 Processor Core Brings 32-bit Benefits to Embedded Microcontroller Applications
- New 32-bit BA25 Application Processor Adds More Performance to Royalty-Free BA2x Family
Comparing BA2x Family Processor Cores