- Capable of running all existing 16450 software
- Fully Synchronous design. All inputs and outputs are based on the rising edge of clock
- Adds or deletes standard asynchronous communication bits (start, stop and parity) to or from the serial data
- Independently controlled transmit, receive, line status and data set interrupts
- Programmable baud generator divides any input clock by 1 to (2**16 - 1) and generates the 16 x clock
- Modem control functions (CTSn, RTSn, DSRn, DTRn, RIn, and DCDn)
- Fully programmable serial interface characteristics:
- 5, 6, 7, or 8 bit characters
- Even, odd, or no-parity bit generation and detection
- 1, 1½, or 2 stop bit generation
- Baud generation
- False start bit detection
- Complete status register
- Internal diagnostic capabilities: loopback controls for communications link fault isolation
- Full prioritized interrupt system controls
UART IP Core H16450S Synchronous 16450 UART Core
The H16450S is a standard UART providing 100% software compatibility with the popular Texas Instruments 16450 device. It performs serial-to-parallel conversion on data originating from modems or other serial devices, and performs parallel-to-serial conversion on data from a CPU to these devices.
Developed for easy reuse in ASIC and FPGA applications, the H16450S is available optimized for several technologies with competitive utilization and performance characteristics.
See representative implementation results (each in a new pop-up window):
The H16450S can be utilized for a variety of applications including:
- Serial or modem computer interface
- Serial interface within modems and other devices
The core as delivered is warranted against defects for ninety days from purchase. Thirty days of phone and email technical support are included, starting with the first interaction. Additional maintenance and support options are available.
The core has been verified through extensive simulation and rigorous code coverage measurements.
The core is available in ASIC (synthesizable HDL) and FPGA (netlist) forms, and includes everything required for successful implementation:
- HDL RTL source code (ASICs) or post-synthesis EDIF netlist (FPGAs)
- Wrapper for pin compatible replacement
- Testbench (self-checking)
- Simulation script, vectors, expected results, and comparison utility
- Synthesis script (ASICs) or place and route script (FPGAs)
- Comprehensive user documentation, including detailed specifications and a system integration guide