High Performance 32-bit CPU
- 1.69 DMIPS/MHz
- Variable length (16/24/32/48 bits) instruction encoding
- Single-cycle execution on most instructions
- Fast and precise internal interrupt response
- Custom user instructions
Small Silicon Footprint & Low Power Consumption
- Industry-leading code density
- Compact code minimizes instruction memory area & power
- 32-bit architecture reduces power-draining memory accesses
- 15k gates and low as 0.05mW/MHz on 90nm
Efficient Power Management
- Power reduction from 2x to 100x by dynamic clock gating for individual units
- Software controlled clock frequency in slow and idle modes
- Interrupt wake-up in doze and sleep modes
Advanced Debug Capability
- Conventional target-debug agent with a debug exception handler
- Non-intrusive debug/trace for both CPU and system
- Complex chained watchpoint and breakpoint conditions
- Industry standard Amontec JTAGKey USB to JTAG interface
- Standard:32 bit tick timer, programmable interrupt controller with 32 maskable interrupt sources
- Options include:
- AMBA bus infrastructure
- Microcontroller peripherals such as GPIO, UART, Real-Time Clock, and Timers
- Serial communication cores such as I2C and SPI
- Memory controllers, interconnect IP and more
Easy Software Development
- Eclipse IDE for Windows, Linux
- ANSI C/C++ compiler, debugger, linker, assembler, & utilities
- Architectural simulator
- Ported libraries & RTOS
Call or click.
Additional peripherals may be added before delivery of the core.
A hardware reference design board is available.
CAST Integration Services are available to help integrate this core with other CAST IP cores.
The BA22 Processor Family includes a set of royalty-free, pre-configured products intended for different applications:
- BA22-EM 32-bit Embedded Processor, for embedded applications.
- BA22-AP Application Processor, for demanding embedded applications that may need to run an RTOS or OS.
- BA25 32-bit Advanced Application Processor, for demanding systems running applications on general-purpose operating systems such as Linux and Android. The high-performance BA25™ processor runs at high clock frequencies yet has a smaller silicon footprint than most competing application processors (e.g., over 800MHz and 350Kgates in TSMC65nmLP, 12-track library).
- BA22-PiP Pre-Integrated Platform offers a wide range of peripherals available as a complete bundle or separately.
Try It Yourself
Evaluate the BA22's features and performance in your own environment with the Talos Series Evaluation Kit.
This popular December 2012 webinar discussed looking beyond published CPU efficiency stats in choosing a processor core for a low-power system. See the webinar recording or slides >
- 01/29/13, New 32-bit BA25 Application Processor Adds More Performance to Royalty-Free BA2x Family
- 01/22/13, Updated IDE and Latest GCC Toolset Improve Application Development for BA2x Family Processors
- 04/26/12, CAST’s Talos Evaluation Kits Help Designers Choose the Best Microcontroller/Processor IP Cores
- 07/28/11, CAST Releases Royalty-Free 32-bit BA22 Processor Cores for Embedded Systems
- 06/03/11, CAST Complements Popular 8051 Family with New 32-bit Processor Core Partnership
- Webinar - CPU Subsystem Total Power Consumption: Understanding the Factors and Selecting the Best IP
- Power Time - GSA Blog Post & CAST Webinar
- Consider Code Density when Choosing Embedded Processors
- CAST Presentation at DAC 2012 Chip Estimate Theater
- Leapfrogging The Competition Through Smart IP Selection
- Seminar: System Design with 32-bit BA22 Processor IP
- Lauterbach and Beyond Semiconductor Partner for Easier System Development with BA22 Royalty Free 32-bit Processors
- Ron Wilson covers CAST BA22 32-bit Processors at EE Times
CAST: feeling the DesignCon vibe
EDACafe, Peggy Aycinena, 1/30/2013
DesignCon 2013 Yields IP, RF, DoE, and Mind Surprises
IP Insider, John Blyler, 2/1/2013
CAST announces royalty-free BA22 32-bit RISC IP
EE Times, Ron Wilson, 8/3/2011
"We went from licensing the BA22 processor [to] tape-out in just 5 months," said Ram Rangarajan, VP of Imaging Products at inSilica. "... Despite our stringent requirements, integration and software development was straightforward. "
— inSilica Announces Tape-Out of Its Next Generation Camera Processor With BA22 Embedded RISC processor, Dec. 10, 2009
32-bit RISC ProcessorIP Core BA22-DE BA22 32-bit Deeply Embedded Processor
Implements a basic 32-bit processor for deeply embedded applications that use on-chip instruction and data memories, and is an excellent step up from the 8051 and other 8- and 16-bit microcontrollers. Part of the royalty-free BA22 family, this processor core is extremely competitive in terms of high performance and low power consumption, and has best-in-class code density (yielding very small program size).
The core has an AMBA® AHB™ or Wishbone system bus interface and dedicated buses for the on-chip instruction and data memories. It includes 16 general purpose registers (GPRs), a tick-timer (TTimer), a programmable interrupt controller (PIC), an advanced power management unit (PMU), and an optional debug unit (DBGU). Additional microcontroller peripherals may be ordered for pre-integration and delivery with the core, individually or in a complete platform. IP Integration Services are also available to help integrate any BA22 processor configuration with memory controllers, image compression, or other CAST IP cores.
The processor’s BA2 instruction set is relatively simple and extremely compact. Programing is facilitated with the included C/C++ tool chain, Eclipse IDE, architectural simulator, and ported C libraries.
The BA22-DE core synthesizes to less than 15k gates, can be clocked over 450MHz in a 65nm technology, and performs up to 1.69 DMIPS/MHz.
The BA22 family of processors has been designed for easy reuse and integration, has been rigorously verified, and is production proven. Contact CAST Sales for details.
BA22-DE reference designs have been evaluated in a variety of technologies. See representative implementation results (in a new pop-up window):
- Mixed signal embedded processing
- Portable and wireless
- Internet, networking and telecom
- Home entertainment consumer electronics
The BA22 family uses a 32-bit processor architecture designed for high performance with great silicon and power efficiency.
The highly configurable design may include caches and memory management units, enhanced arithmetic processing capabilities such as a divider and floating point unit, a sophisticated power management unit, and an interactive, JTAG-based debug capability.
The BA22-DE is one pre-configured version of the BA22, targeted for relatively simple deeply embedded applications.
BA22 processors are also designed for quick, efficient software development. The BA2 instruction set they use provides the highest code density in its class, without compromises on performance, ease of use, or scalability. It features:
- A linear, 32-bit or 64-bit logical address space
- An instruction length of 16, 24, 36, 48, or 64 bits, which reduces memory requirements by as much as 40%.
- Simple memory addressing modes
- Configurable general purpose registers (12 to 32 GPRs)
- Efficient memory transfer instructions
The BA22 has already proven itself in multiple production designs.
Support and Services
The core as delivered is warranted against defects for 90 days from purchase. Thirty days of phone and email technical support are included, starting with the first interaction. Additional maintenance and support options are available.
IP Integration Services are also available to help minimize time to market for BA22-based systems.
The core is available for ASICs in synthesizable HDL, and includes everything required for successful implementation:
- Verilog RTL source code
- Verilog Testbench
- Silicon-proven Reference SoC/ASIC Design
- Software development tools for Cygwin on Windows and Linux, with Eclipse IDE interface
- Operating systems and board support package
A reference design board running Linux and FPGA versions of the core are also available; contact CAST Sales for information.