- Programming features contain 208 bits of read/write memory that are accessible to the programmer.
- The internal registers include an accumulator and six 8-bit registers that can be paired as three 16-bit registers.
- In addition to general registers, a 16-bit stack-pointer, 16-bit program-counter, and two 16-bit index registers are provided.
- Control Unit
- 8-bit Instruction decoder
- Arithmetic-Logic Unit
- 8-bit arithmetic and logical operations
- 16-bit arithmetic operations
- Boolean manipulations
- Register File Unit
- Duplicate set of both general purpose and flag registers
- Two 16-bit index registers
- Interrupt Controller
- Three modes of maskable interrupts
- Non maskable interrupt
- External Memory interface
- Can address up to 64 KB of program memory
- Can address up to 64 KB of data memory
- Can address up to 64 KB of input/output devices
- On-core dynamic memory refresh counter
- The core can be used as an equivalent of the Zilog™ Z80, which due to its popularity has a variety of industry certified software ready to be used
- Easy implementation in SoC designs targeted to FPGAs or ASICs
- Guarantees independence from chip vendors
Z80 IP Core CZ80CPU 8-bit Microprocessor Core
The CZ80CPU implements a fast, fully-functional, single-chip, 8-bit microprocessor with the same instruction set as the Z80.
The core has a 16-bit address bus capable of directly accessing 64kB of memory space. It has 252 root instructions with the reserved 4 bytes as prefixes, and accesses an additional 308 instructions.
The microcode-free design was developed for reuse in ASIC and FPGA implementations. It is strictly synchronous, with no internal tri-states and a synchronous reset.
See representative implementation results (each in a new pop-up window):
The CZ80CPU core can be utilized for many embedded controller applications including:
- Industrial control systems
- Point-of-sale terminals
- Automotive controls
The core as delivered is warranted against defects for ninety days from purchase. Thirty days of phone and email technical support are included, starting with the first interaction. Additional maintenance and support options are available.
The CZ80CPU core’s functionality was verified by means of a proprietary hardware modeler. The same stimulus was applied to a hardware model that contained the original Zilog Z84C00 chip, and the results compared with the core’s simulation outputs.
The core is available in ASIC (synthesizable HDL) and FPGA (netlist) forms, and includes everything required for successful implementation:
- HDL RTL source code (ASICs) or post-synthesis EDIF netlist (FPGAs)
- Example CZ80CHIP – 8051 compatible design
This design uses the CZ80CPU and illustrates how to build and connect memories and port modules
- Extensive HDL Test Bench that instantiates:
- Example design CZ80CHIP
- External RAM
- External ROM
- Clock generator
- Process that compares your simulation results with the expected results
- A collection of Z80 assembler programs which are executed directly by the TestBench
- Simulation script, vectors, expected results, and comparison utility
- Synthesis script (ASICs) or place and route script (FPGAs)
- Comprehensive user documentation, including detailed specifications and a system integration guide
- Design support including consulting