Baseline ISO/IEC 10918-1 JPEG Compliance
- Programmable Huffman Tables (two DC, two AC)
- Programmable quantization tables (up to four)
- Up to four color components
- Supports all possible scan configurations and all JPEG formats for input and output data
- Supports any image size up to 64k x 64k
- Supports DNL and restart markers
- Standalone, Baseline JPEG stream output
Additional Image Processing Capabilities
- Programmable Quantization Quality (1 to 100)
- Motion JPEG payload encoding
- One-pass compression ratio regulation (optional)
- Motion JPEG video oriented rate control option with programmable nominal output frame size and transmission buffer size in bytes
- Block-based, rate control option with independent Luminance and Chrominance thresholds
Designed for Easy Integration
- Simple, microcontroller like, programming interface
- Avalon-ST I/O data interfaces
- Optional AHB or AXI bus interfaces
- Single clock per input sample for encoding
- Fully programmable through standard JPEG stream marker segments
- Automatic JPEG markers headers generation on the output
- Automatic program-once encode-many operation
Designed for High Quality
- Robust verification environment includes bit-accurate software model
- ASIC and FPGA proven in multiple designs
Call or click.
- JPEG-C Baseline JPEG Compression Codec
- JPEG-D Baseline JPEG Compression Decoder
- JPEG-E-X Baseline/Extended Sequential 12-bit DICOM JPEG Encoder
- SVE-JPEG-E Scalado SpeedView JPEG Encoder
- CCBB-AHB AHB Compression Core Bus Bridge – adds an AHB interface to the JPEG-E core
"The quality of the core plus CAST's determination to see us succeed were both instrumental in bringing our groundbreaking handheld high-speed camera, the TS3, to market on time and on spec.
The JPEG encoder's features and excellent performance were as specified, and the system integration was so easy I didn't need CAST's technical support services.
The sales team also went above and beyond, first in making sure we got the right IP product, then with flexible terms that worked with our project requirements."
— Bob Sefton, Principal FPGA Design Engineer, Fastec Imaging Corp.
See sample slow-motion videos from the TS3 on Fastec's YouTube channel, including this one.
- 06/04/12, JPEG Encoder IP Core from CAST gets Rate Control Options, Faster FPGAs
- 03/06/12, Fast JPEG Encoder Core from CAST Used in Fastec TS3 High-Speed Camera
- 09/10/10, CAST JPEG IP Core Helps Kapsch TrafficCom Handle Real-Time Image Compression
- 09/09/05, CAST Joins LSI Logic RapidChip® Platform ASIC IP Partner Program
- 02/02/04, CAST Introduces Flexible Family of JPEG IP Cores
- 05/29/02, CAST Releases JPEG Cores
See the JPEG entry at Wikipedia.
JPEG IP Core JPEG-E Baseline Compression JPEG Encoder Core
One of the fastest available JPEG cores, the JPEG-E can encode multiple Full HD channels even in low-cost FPGA devices. Full compliance with the Baseline Sequential DCT mode of the ISO/IEC 10918-1 JPEG standard makes the JPEG-E core ideal for interoperable systems and devices.In addition to generating standalone Baseline JPEG streams, the core is also capable of producing the (de facto) standard video payload of many motion JPEG container formats. The JPEG-E can also be enhanced with an optional add-on bit-rate control block, which may benefit applications that have tight bandwidth constraints.
Evaluation designs show that the core has a small footprint, requiring, for example, approximately 50,000 equivalent gates and 16kbits of internal memory for a 90nmn implementation. Furthermore it easily fits most of the low-cost FPGA devices. Its heavily optimized architecture enables a very high performance, reaching processing rates of up to 750 MSamples/sec in a 65nm technology.
The core is designed with easy to use, fully controllable and FIFO-like, streaming input and output interfaces. Being carefully designed, rigorously verified and production-proven, the JPEG-E is a reliable and easy to integrate core. Its deliverables include a complete verification environment and a bit-accurate software model.
The high-performance JPEG-E core is suitable for implementing a variety of digital imaging applications, including:
- Digital cameras and camcorders
- Office automation equipment (multifunction printers, etc)
- Medical imaging systems
- Video conference systems
- Surveillance systems
The core as delivered is warranted against defects for ninety days from purchase. Thirty days of phone and email technical support are included, starting with the first interaction. Additional maintenance and support options are available.
The core has been verified through extensive synthesis, place and route, and simulation rubs. It has also been embedded in several products, and is proven in both ASIC and FPGA technologies. The core has been verified through extensive synthesis, place and route, and simulation rubs. It has also been embedded in several products, and is proven in both ASIC and FPGA technologies.
The core is available in ASIC (synthesizable HDL) and FPGA (netlist) forms, and includes everything required for successful implementation:
- HDL RTL source code (ASICs) or post-synthesis netlist (FPGAs)
- Sophisticated self-checking Testbench (Verilog versions use Verilog 2001)
- Software (C++) Bit-Accurate Model and test vector gene-rator
- Simulation script, test vectors, and expected results
- Synthesis script (ASICs) or place and route script (FPGAs)
- Comprehensive user documentation, including detailed specifications and a system integration guide